Thursday, February 9, 2012

Orchids in Bloom

I have four orchids in bloom now and they are all different.  I have a miniature Dendrobium peguanum in bloom, a Jewel orchid, Dendrobium nobile Love Memory 'Fizz', and a NOID White Phalaenopsis.


I bought the mini Dendrobium peguanum from Clown Alley Orchids in Houston, Tx a month ago and it had a few buds forming when I bought it.  I love the small flowers that have a great purple lip and form in clusters.



I have a Jewel orchid that I bought at an Orchid meeting.  It looked great and I had to have it.  It was had flower spikes and some buds on it.  It started blooming a week or so after I got it but it grew too tall  for the shelf it was on so I had to move it onto a bigger shelf.  It looks great and the pictures came out good surprising that I didn't have a micro lens to use.





I bought my Dendrobium nobile Love memory 'Fizz' last May when I went to go visit my parents in Colorado.  I bought it and it had buds on it but they weren't open at the time.  I saw what it was going to look at and they smelled great.  I loved how tall the canes were and how many beautiful flowers were growing along the sides. When the flowers started opening on the left side, there were three buds forming, two of them formed mutated without two petals but the other one is fine.  I have grown my orchids inside on a three fixture (6 bulbs) setup and with watering regularly but I slowed down when it started getting colder but this plant started growing four more canes from the base.  It started growing the new flowers off of the top of the older cane that had the blooms on it when I bought the plant.  The first two photos below are from when I bought the plant and the last two are the new blooms.





The last one that is blooming now is a NOID white Phalaenopsis.  I bought this one last year for $1.  I saw that the flowers falling off were white and I loved how large the leaves are and how tall the spike was.  It has seven large leaves that are all about 12" inches long and one flower on it thats (5" by 3 1/2").  I love how the lip looks and the colors in the base on it.





No comments:

Post a Comment